|Francis William Walker was born April 1, 1910 in Fruitvale, Washington County, Idaho.|
I tend to recall Francis/Frank Walker in Columbia oaters just prior to and during the early days of World War II - rightly so, as he appeared in nearly four dozen of the Bill Elliott and Charles Starrett Columbias from that time period.
His film career spanned about a dozen years, from about 1933-1945, and most of his roles were that of gang member / henchman and he also did doubling and stunt work. Appears he was a busy guy - check his reported earnings in the 1940 census below.
He enlisted in the Army on May 21, 1942 as a Private (link with more details below). Alas - we don't know where his duty locations were ... or whether he was injured in the military or Hollywood ... or he found a different job outside of the movie business.
The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) has a few film listings for him during 1943-1945 ... and then he disappears.
The California Death Index and Social Security Death Index (SSDI) have Walker passing away on March 8, 1971 in Shasta County, California. Profiles on him note he died in Redding, California (which is the county seat of Shasta County). I found no obituary at the Google Newspaper Archive or the Newspaper Archive website. Perhaps an Old Corral visitor who lives in/near Redding, California will volunteer to visit the local library and see if there's an obituary on Walker.
Although some of the data may be incomplete or inaccurate, the Internet Movie Database (IMDb) has information on Francis Walker: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0907733
(Courtesy of Les Adams)
Above from L-to-R are Archie Twitchell, Frank LaRue and Francis Walker in a scene from PRAIRIE STRANGER (Columbia, 1941), which starred Charles Starrett.
The Family Search website (free), the National Archives 1938-1946 Army Enlistment Records database, Social Security Death Index (SSDI), and California Death Index have information on Francis Walker and family:
- Idaho Birth Index record (not the birth certificate) for Francis William Walker, born April 1, 1910 in Fruitvale, Washington County, Idaho. Parents were 36 year old William Thomas Walker (born Illinois) and 32 year old Leona Margaret Murray (born Indiana): https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2M1-3YKK
- 1910 census summary and census takers worksheet - census was taken April 28, 1910. Living in Council precinct, Washington County, Idaho are 36 year old William Walker (born Illinois; occupation "Farmer - Truck Farm"), his 33 year old wife Leona M. (born Indiana), 8 year old son Harry (born Nebraska), 5 year old daughter Lezetta (born Nebraska), 4 year old daughter Irene (born Nebraska), 1 year old son Eugene (born Idaho), and unnamed, one month old son (born Idaho): https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MLHT-VMY
- 1920 census - there's a problem with the large Walker family at Family Search - the census taker recorded the family on two separate worksheets and Family Search has them recorded separately as two groups of four people.
Renting at 1309 13th Street, Center, Hood River County, Oregon are 46 year old William Walker (born Illinois; occupation "Blacksmith"), his 42 year old wife Maggie L. (born Indiana), 17 year old son Harry (born Nebraska), 15 year old daughter Lissetta (born Nebraska), 13 year old daughter Irene (born Nebraska), 11 year old son Eugene (born Nebraska), 9 year old son Francis (born Idaho), and 7 year old daughter Elsie (born Idaho):
- 1930 census summary and census takers worksheet - 56 year old William T. Walker (born Illinois), 52 year old wife Maggie L. (born Indiana), 21 year old son Eugene A., 20 year old son Francis W., and 17 year old daughter Elsie A. owns their home at 222 South Orchard Drive, Burbank, California. The occupation of son Francis W. is "Tack man - Riding Academy" All three children were born in Idaho: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XCFJ-4GD
- 1940 census summary and census takers worksheet - 30 year old Francis W. Walker (born Idaho) is divorced and is one of many roomers at 1140 North Gower in Los Angeles and he resided in Burbank, California in 1935. His occupation is "Motion Picture actor - Motion Picture Production", and in 1939, he worked 30 weeks and earned $5000.00+. If you view the census takers worksheet, note there are several other actors on the list: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K9CX-74Q
- The National Archives 1938-1946 Army Enlistment Records database has info: Francis W. Walker is divorced and without dependents; born 1910 in Idaho; has two years of high school education; civilian occupation of "Actors and actresses"; and he enlisted as a Private on May 21, 1942 in Los Angeles.
The following link will take you to that enlistment database - enter "Frank W. Walker" in the search box and then select California as the Residence State: http://aad.archives.gov/aad/fielded-search.jsp?dt=893&tf=F&cat=all&bc=sl,fd
- The California Death Index has a record for Francis W. Walker, born April 1, 1910 in Idaho, and passed away on March 8, 1971 in the Shasta, California area: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VP2G-GPX
There is also a record in the Social Security Death Index (SSDI) - 61 year old Francis Walker was born April 1, 1910, and he passed away March, 1971 in the Shasta, California area: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VMMT-3Z5